History of Leeds United Methodist Church
Leeds United Methodist Church is one of the oldest
religious societies in Cecil County. It began in 1804 when John Wilson came from Leeds, England. He settled here
and named this area after his homeland.
In 1812, with the help of people in the neighborhood, he built a stone church building located
on Leeds Road and served as the minister until his death in 1830. His son, Rev. John G. Wilson, succeeded him as
Leeds' next pastor.
Important dates in Leeds' history include:
- John's daughter, Sara, organized a Sunday School at the church. This was the first Sunday School outside the city
- The cornerstone of the present sanctuary was laid on Thanksgiving Day.
1889 - The present sanctuary was dedicated.
1996 - The old parsonage was razed to provide more space for parking and
The sanctuary was again renovated as part of a three-phase expansion plan.